Leading Edge FTO: Putting the “T” Back in FTO
Field Training Officers (FTOs) serve in one of the most critical roles of any organization. Beyond training new or lateral officers, they are key in building organizational culture. The Leading Edge FTO is designed for current FTOs and Supervisors and intentionally challenges the “the way we’ve always done it”. Over time, there has become less emphasis on training, to a focus almost entirely on evaluating and documenting. The real goal should be to train and mentor the next generation of officers to successfully serve their communities.
Regardless of the “system” (PTO, San Jose Model, etc.) this program focuses on the FTO being an exceptional trainer first with emphasis on HOW to teach trainees. Through guided discussion, group exercises, and video analysis, attendees will explore the following.
- The FTO as a trainer, not just an evaluator
- The role of the FTO as an agency leader
- How FTOs can become better coaches and mentors
- FTO accountability: for ourselves, our trainee, and our agency
- Documentation: what great agencies do that others don’t
Appropriate Audience: any agency personnel who interact with the public. Supervisors of those who interact with the public.
Class Length: 16 hours.